Downsizing in Des Moines Area
Retiring or Seeking Simplicity?
If you're considering downsizing your home to the Des Moines area, we're here to help. Our team can guide you through the process of relocating to a smaller home, whether you're retiring or just looking to simplify your life. Here's what you need to know about buying a smaller home in our thriving city and surrounding suburbs.
Affordable Homes for Sale in Des Moines Area
Selling Your Des Moines Home?
Before you downsize, you probably have to sell your current home, right? If you're selling in the Des Moines area, We'd love to help you out! Take a look at some of the resources we have to offer you... or just request your home value to see what it's worth.
The Benefits of Downsizing in the Des Moines Area
Quality of life
Des Moines consistently ranks highly in national surveys of the best places to live, due to its strong economy, low crime rate, and excellent public schools. The area also has a thriving arts and culture scene, as well as numerous outdoor recreation opportunities.
The Des Moines area is known for its friendly and welcoming community. With numerous community events and festivals throughout the year, it's easy to get involved and make new friends.
Parks and Outdoor Recreation
The Des Moines area has many parks and outdoor recreation areas, including Gray's Lake Park, Raccoon River Park, and the Des Moines Botanical Garden. The area also has many bike trails, hiking trails, and water sports opportunities.
Tips for Downsizing Your Home
- Declutter first: Before you even think of packing up and moving, consider what you'll be taking with you—and how much. Remember, downsizing typically means your home will be decreasing in size, so everything you own now likely won't fit into your new place.
- Keep things you want, use, need, or like to look at: When downsizing your belongings, you might want to get rid of all the things you don't actively use, but doing so might take away some of the "home" from your house—and make it harder to adjust to a new place.
- Don't save for others: It might be tempting to save keepsakes or memorabilia for kids or grandkids, but remember that items that hold value to you won't necessarily hold the same nostalgia for younger generations.
- Give everything a designated spot: Before packing something up to take to your new (smaller) home, consider where it will go in the new place. If it doesn't have a spot in the house, it doesn't have a spot in the box.
- Take pictures... and label: Taking pictures of your old home will help you keep the fond memories you've made throughout the years... just make sure you take some time to label these photos (and any older ones) to remember why you took them!
- Pare down on paperwork: If you've lived in your house for a while, you have likely acquired a lot of paperwork over the years—and it might've been a while since you last went through it. Odds are, only a small portion of it needs to make the move to the new house.
Things To Do in the Des Moines Area
Discover the Des Moines Area's Premier Communities
The Des Moines area has many different communities and neighborhoods. Each community has its own unique character and charm, making it important to explore different areas to find the one that best suits your needs and lifestyle.
Downtown Des Moines
The heart of the city, Downtown Des Moines is a bustling urban area that offers a mix of residential, commercial, and entertainment options. It's home to many of the city's major employers, as well as popular attractions like the Des Moines Civic Center, the Iowa Events Center, and the Pappajohn Sculpture Park.
Another popular suburb of Des Moines, Ankeny has seen significant growth in recent years due to its strong economy and excellent school system. It offers a mix of housing options, from affordable starter homes to larger luxury properties.
West Des Moines
A suburb of Des Moines, West Des Moines is a popular residential area that offers a mix of housing options, from historic homes to modern new construction. It's also home to many shopping and dining options, including the Jordan Creek Town Center.
Ready to Downsize to Des Moines?
Imagine waking up in a low-maintenance home with fewer rooms to clean and maintain. You'll have more time to focus on your hobbies, spend time with loved ones, and enjoy all the activities that Des Moines has to offer. We'd love to help make your transition as seamless and enjoyable as possible! As experienced real estate professionals, we have the knowledge and expertise to assist you in finding the perfect home to fit your retirement lifestyle. And if you're selling first, We can certainly help with that too.